Intellectual Property Law Attorney, Joseph R. Meaney
Arizona Lawyer Experienced in Patent, Trademark, Trade Secret & Copyright Law
Shareholder since January 1, 2001
|Location:||1938 East Osborn Road, Phoenix, Arizona 85016|
Joe is a registered patent lawyer and a licensed professional engineer in Arizona. Joe represents clients in all aspects of intellectual property, including patent, trademark, trade secret and copyright law. His practice includes patent and trademark prosecution before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, litigation of intellectual property disputes in both federal and state court, and the preparation of various documents, including licensing agreements and assignments. Joe is admitted in both the state and federal courts of Arizona.
Prior to attending law school, Joe was a structural engineer for more than four years with a mid-size engineering firm in Massachusetts and New York.
Areas of Practice
- 80% Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights
- 15% Other IP related issues (trade secrets, licensing)
- 45% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1999
- Arizona, 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 2010
- Arizona State University, Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, Tempe, Arizona
- J.D. (Cum Laude) – 1996
- American Jurisprudence Award – Torts
- American Juriprudence Award – Criminal Law
- Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts
- B.S. Civil Engineering (Cum Laude) – 1989
- Frye to Daubert: Is a Pattern Unfolding?, Jurimetrics, 35:191, 1995
- Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus: A Closer Look, Jurimetrics, 36:383 , 1996
- Patent Reexamination: Obtained reversal of Examiner’s initial decision rejecting all claims; 13 out of 20 claims confirmed patentable.
- Copyright/DMCA Appeal to Ninth Circuit: Persuaded 9th Circuit to reverse lower court’s decision and remand back to District Court.
- Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB): Won “no likelihood of confusion” after trial and Board decision.
- Patent Litigation: represented plaintiff in the Eastern District of Texas against Fortune 500 company; achieved successful settlement.
- Summary Judgment: Obtained summary judgment on merits for plaintiff on breach of contract issue.
- Issued Patents:
- polyacrylamide delivery device
- wastewater treatment system
- method of incorporating sound wave into audio composition
- improved pop-up tent structure
- system for cooling residential structures
- gadget holding device
- programmable panel schedule
- hand-held massage tool
- beverage cups
- moisture barrier wall
- Federal Trademark Registrations: successfully registered more than 120 trademarks
- Intellectual Property & Transactions M&A Roundtable, 2012
- Introduction to Copyright, Trademark and Other IP Law, CLE conference 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Patent Attorney, United States Patent and Trademark Office 1999 – present
- Professional Engineer, Board of Technical Registration (AZ) 1996 – present
“A few years ago, I found myself in a legal controversy involving intellectual property, and happily, found Joe Meaney. He became my trusted advisor in this matter. Not only did he guide me through the mess successfully, he did so without having to go to court. Saved me time, money, and a lot of stress, and the issue, once settled, has remained settled.
Recently, when my husband and I had another issue to deal with, we immediately went to Joe, who again gave us the perspective and advice we needed. But then, perhaps even more importantly, when the case developed some new dimensions, he recognized that we needed some more, and different help, and sent us to exactly the right attorney, in terms of expertise and people skills, for the purpose.”