Skilled Arizona Intellectual Property Lawyer, Lance C. Venable
Attorney Experienced in Patent & Trademark Law; Scottsdale, Phoenix AZ & the U.S.
|Location:||1938 East Osborn Road, Phoenix, Arizona 85016|
Mr. Venable was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois. He completed both his Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering and Juris Doctorate degrees from Arizona State University. He is one of the founding shareholders of the firm and practices primarily in intellectual property litigation as well as patent and trademark prosecution before the U.S. Patent Trademark Office. As an experienced intellectual property lawyer, Lance C. Venable has litigated numerous intellectual property matters in district and appellate courts throughout the U.S. Most recently, he was lead counsel for MDY Industries LLC before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals where he obtained a favorable reversal in a landmark copyright decision for software developers in the case of MDY Industries v. Blizzard Entertainment, 629 F.3d 938 (2010). He has also prosecuted several hundred patent and trademark applications before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Mr. Venable possesses an equally diverse technical background. Before attending law school, he worked as a design and applications engineer in the Semiconductor Product Sector of Motorola, Inc., Digital Equipment Corporation, and at US West Communications (now Century Link) in Phoenix, Arizona. While working as an engineer at Motorola, he also worked in their corporate patent department.
Areas of Practice
- 100% Intellectual Property Law
- 70% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Patent Law, U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 1997
- Arizona, 1996
- U.S. District Court District of Arizona, 1996
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 2004
- Colorado, 2000
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 2003
- Arizona State University, College of Law, Tempe, Arizona
- J.D – 1995
- Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona
- B.S. – 1991
- Major: Electrical Engineering
- MDY Industries v. Blizzard Entertainment, 629 F.3d 928 (9th Circuit 2010)
- Aqua Lung America
- MDY Industries LLC
- Camgian Microsystems
- Angel MedFlight, Inc.
- Stratco Inc.
- Nothing Bundt Cakes
- Speaker Craft, Inc.
- Proficient Audio
- Trippe Manufacturing
- Current Issues in Patent Law, Dunes CLE, 2006
- Ebay v. MERC Exchange and Its Impact on the Market Place
Professional Associations and Memberships
- AIPLA, 1996 – Present
- State Bar of Arizona – IP Section, 1996 – Present
Past Employment Positions
- Lewis & Roca, 1993 – 1994
- Rosenbaum & Associates, 1993 – 1995
Pro Bono Activities
- Maricopa County Judge Pro Tempore, 2005 – Present